STEPS TO GET FIT AND HEALTHY
My 3 steps to get fit and healthy this summer
1. Develop the right attitude.
Our mind is the strongest tool we have when it comes to succeeding in anything we set our sights on. I strongly believe in the “PMA” rule, the Positive Mental Attitude concept. If you attempt anything in life with the confidence you are going to succeed, you will more than likely achieve it. You should see and feel the end result vividly in your mind, believe in your new lifestyle 100%.Keep in mind that this is not a quick fix but this is your lifestyle change and it might take time to get there but no matter what distractions get thrown your way make a promise to yourself that you will succeed.
2. Set your goals.
The most important step to achieving any results is to set goals. All successful people set goals, setting goals gives you short term motivation and long term vision. When setting your goals make sure to write them down, once you put pen to paper they become more real, like a contract to yourself.To help you set your goals and asses yourself please check out our members profile and assessment page. Stick to the SMART concept when setting your goals which are….
– If your main goal is lose weight, break it down to weekly or every 2 weeks. Remember, a healthy weight to lose is 1.5 – 3 lbs a week, depending on your level of fitness and your current body shape. If you were to lose 1.5 lbs a week, that would lead to 78 lbs lost in a year!! Please don’t get hung up on only weight loss though, you have to take into consideration Body fat % and circumference measurements. Remember it’s ultimately body fat % you need to lose!!!
– Asses yourself at the start to see where you are at. Record your weight and the various circumference measurements. I would recommend to asses yourself every 4 weeks and reward yourself when you achieve your short term goals. These small achievements serve as a motivating factor towards your big goal.
– Write down your goals, this serves as a contract to yourself. Keep it in a place where you can see it so it reminds you of what YOU want. Also, tell people what your goals are. By telling your friends your goals, they can encourage you but most importantly it keeps you going in the tough times because you want to prove to them and yourself that you will succeed.
– Make sure your goals are Realistic. Unrealistic goals serve no good as it will just discourage you.
– It’s very important that you have a deadline. Look at your long term goal and then work back from that. If your long term goal is to lose 28 lbs and to lose 12 cm around your waist, break it down. That means you need to lose 4.6 lbs a month or 1.1 lb per week…..or 2 cm around your waist a month.
3. Follow a plan
A goal without a plan is only a wish!!! The only way we achieve anything in life is to follow a structured plan. When it comes to health and fitness, you need to combine 2 aspects to succeed, both nutrition and exercise. Find an eating plan that suits your lifestyle, get rid of all processed food and sweets in the house because they are just temptation. Replace them with healthy fruits, vegetables, whole grains and Low Glycemic index foods. Regarding your exercise, start at a level that is suited to you and suits your time availability. If you are a beginner I would recommend the 6 week KickStart program or the 30 day Slimdown program. Set out your time when you will exercise and try stick to it as much as possible. If you have set times to train it becomes a habit which means you are more likely to not miss a training session.